Monday, October 10, 2011

Forgetting

The other day some errands I needed to run took me to a part of town that I don't often visit.  I was dropping clothes off at a local resale shop.  This shop is part of our local homeless shelter.  I drove through their campus and looked at the buildings and apartments surrounding them.  This is the place where the poorest of the poor in our community live.  These are the people who have no income and no job.  This happens to also be where D & D live. 

As I thought of the people who lived behind those closed doors and I thought about what I saw behind D & D's door I was moved to tears.  I later told Tony, "we forget, we forget too easily that they exist."  See this town is VERY white collared.  We have two universities and two cooperate offices of large insurances companies in town.  The majority of people that we know and attend church with work in one of these four places.  The town has money, nice homes, good schools, and is pretty conservative.

It is easy to sit in our pews on Sunday mornings, go to our parks on weekdays, and have our family fun on weekends and forget.  We forget that a few miles down the road is poverty, pain, hurt.  Many people could spew reason after reason on why these people are the way they are (D & D's Dad was a career criminal).  However, the bottom line is they are hurting and lost.  They desperately, desperately need Jesus.  But it's easier just to forget.

Follow You by Leeland and Brandon Heath:

No comments: