Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Can I See the One?

I walked away from the school knowing that I should have offered the fellow PreK mom babysitting.  For a block I kept thinking I should turn around---but I didn't.  Then I spent the rest of my walking kicking myself and confessing to God.  I should have offered.....why???...no other reason then the Holy Spirit was prompting me too.

Obedience to the one is something God has been teaching me lately.  This is something Katie Davis writes in her book, Kisses from Katie.  She talks about the feeling that serving in Uganda was like trying to refill an ocean with a water dropper.  God didn't call her to change Uganda.  Instead He called her to serve the one right in front in her.  By changing that one's life, Uganda would change. 

I have been praying that God would open my eyes to the needs right in front of me and that I would be faithful to fill it.  However, I feel like I keep missing that one.  It's so much easier to look at the bigger picture, or to be so focus at the life in front of me that I miss those in front of me. 

I need to be faithful to the elderly woman who is lonely and just needs to chat for a while, even though I really just want to go home.  I need to be faithful to the mom who is overwhelmed and needs the door held open for her, even though I have four kids of my own to wrangle.  I need to be faithful to the neighbor who rarely talks to us due to three little bi-racial kids running in our yard, but now is willing to have a conversation.  I need to be faithful to the child who needs 5 minutes of Mommy time, even though my list of chores to do is huge.

It's easier to look for ways to save the world.  It's easier to sit in the statics and shake my head at The Church for their lack of action to what God has clearly called them to in the Bible.  It's easier to say I've done enough, look at the three children in my home that I'm caring for. 

However, God has asked me to let him worry about that.  He is the world savior.  He is the head of the church.  And He has placed these children into my home.  He has called me to neither heroics or cowardice.  Instead He has called me to faithfulness.  Faithful to the one He places in front of me each day.

No comments: