Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Chance to Show Grace

When Our Guy first came into our home I was doing my personal devotions in Exodus and it just wasn't cutting it.  Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE Exodus and I love watching God work and reveal himself in Exodus.  However, I needed a reminder of what Christ did for me on the cross.  I needed to be told again the filth I was before Jesus saved me.  I needed to know how undeserving I was of the love I recieved.  So, I made my way over to Romans.  I have enjoyed watching Paul untangle the gospel message for the Jews.

While I was reading in Romans 5 I came across these words in verse 21. (NIV)

The law [Old testament Jewish law] was added so that the trespass [sin] might increase.  But where sin increased, grace increased all the more.

I had to read those words quit a few times to let the truth of them sink in.


Paul was saying that the Jewish law was added so that sin might increase.  See, the law was impossible to live up to.  It was set up so that the Jews knew just how far away from God's standard of perfect they were.  However, God used that in order that he could show his grace and love to his people (and then on to the Gentiles) through his son, Jesus Christ.

When my children turn against the standard I have set for them I often get frustrated and think, "why can't they just behave."  However, that is a wrong view.  What I should be doing is viewing as an opportunity to teach my children and to show them grace and compassion.  Seeing that my grace and compassion come from having Jesus Christ in me, by doing this I will be able to show my children him.  It doesn't mean I should be happy with disobedient children.  Rather I should thank God he has given me the opportunity to show who he is.

No comments: