Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Choosing to See the Little Things

I do have pictures of us celebrating St. Patty's day but due to a funeral this past weekend and a trip coming up this next weekend I have not gotten around to uploading and editing them yet.  I wanted to get this down before I forgot it though.

Yesterday I did one of the things I fear the most.  I locked my keys in my car....along with my wallet and cell phone.  However, it made for the perfect opportunity to allow God to work and here is how:

* I noticed right away which means I was able to deal with the situation immediately.

* It was 4:30 and Tony gets off work at 5.  By 5:20 he had come to rescue us.  We weren't waiting too long.

* We happened to be at a local hospital to return a nebulizer we had rented a few weeks back. They had a phone and a phone book (Tony's number is long distance and his work number is saved in my phone so I don't have it memorized) for me to use.  I didn't have to find a pay phone and the elderly lady at the information desk was such a sweetheart.

* I had a dollar on me.  I almost never have  cash on me and when I do it's in my wallet (which was in the car).  I was able to get Addilece a snack so I had a happy little girl.  They also had a water cooler and cups so not having a sippy cup was fine.

* Addilece had broken her sandal (trying to get it off) which is what had distracted me.  We were in a place that we could sit that was clean (unlike maybe a store) and had few people around to worry about her being shoeless (unlike maybe the library).

*  Addilece didn't get a poppy diaper.  Let me just tell you....my daughter has a LOT of poppy diapers.  The fact that she didn't was a miracle.  The diaper bag, by the way, was what was holding everything else. 

* We didn't have to pay anything on the rental right then.  So we were able to return it without me needing my debit card.

As I was thinking through this list last night I thought for a minute, "why didn't God just keep me from locking my keys in the car."  God could of easily have done that.  However, I know that I would not have given him credit for that.  I would of thought "Oh how fortunate" and went on with my day.  This way I was able to see God work about my protection for His glory.  This could of been a very bad situation but it wasn't.

God often brings each one of us through tough times for His glory.  Here in America we struggle to acknowledge the trouble or difficulties He keeps us from.  He has to bring us into hard times so that we can actually see Him work.  The sign in front of our church recently said, "Don't pray for sunshine if you don't pray when the sun is shining."  How true that is.  Look for a way to acknowledge God in the goodness of the sunshine He has provided in your life today.

No comments: