Monday, September 12, 2011

Backwards Pants

The front in the back
"Take a picture of the back of the turtle."
My child walking around all day with her pants on backwards was a reminder of two things for me; first she was growing up fast, and second the humbling feeling of NOT being in control.

Yes, she had been insisting all day that she needed to put her clothes on herself.  It was the second day of the fall chill and I couldn't comprehend why now that we were wearing long pants and long sleeves this was necessary.  She tried several times, the pants were her first success.

"Mommy, these are my pants."
I sat by her dresser pressing my hands together and biting my lip, fighting the over-whelming urge to jump up, turn her pants the correct way and do it for her.  But she got it.  As backwards as they were, they were on.  She was proud.  Me on the other hand- I had lost control.  How had this happened?

Giving up control is something hard for me, whether it is parenting or in what God would have our family do with our lives.  However, when God takes control complete control- its bliss.  Suddenly I don't have to fret and worry.  I just hand him the pants and they end up right how they should be!  And when I let my child take a bit of control she gains the understand of responsibility and pride in herself for accomplishing a task.   

No comments: